From: Jason Stubbs <jstubbs@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] USE_EXPAND and IUSE
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2005 12:38:11
1 On Tuesday 21 June 2005 14:11, Donnie Berkholz wrote:
2 > Jason Stubbs wrote:
3 > > FRITZCAPI_CARDS FCDSL_CARDS VIDEO_CARDS INPUT_DEVICES LINGUAS
4 > >
5 > > Do any of these not follow the same pattern of empty var == all
6 > > installed? Any objections to making that a requirement for adding a new
7 > > USE_EXPAND variable? If so, the emerge *display* issue would be no
8 > > problem.
9 >
10 > x11-drm dies if you don't set VIDEO_CARDS. At the time, I thought it was
11 > better to make the user understand the available video cards and set
12 > them manually, since settings of multiple cards are allowed. Perhaps
13 > that's worth rethinking.
14
15 It seems we have the following behaviour when unset:
16
17 FRITZCAPI_CARDS => Selective based on "pcmcia" and "usb" USE flags
18 FCDSL_CARDS => All
19 VIDEO_CARDS => Dies
20 INPUT_DEVICES => None
21 LINGUAS => All
22
23 It would be nice to unify the behaviour among these. I like either the "All"
24 or the "Dies" option though. While the FRITZCAPI_CARDS behaviour is 'probably
25 what the user wants', it is not predictable.
26
27 Any reason why INPUT_DEVICES is needed in USE_EXPAND rather than just as local
28 USE flags? It's kind of the odd one out among the above.
29
30 Regards,
31 Jason Stubbs