From: "M. J. Everitt" <m.j.everitt@×××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Global USE=gui
Date: Fri, 03 Jun 2016 20:23:31
1 On 03/06/16 21:13, Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > Walter,
3 >
4 > I think you're missing where the devs want to take this and what USE
5 > is all about. It's about *features*, not about dependencies.
6 >
7 > USE="gtk" is a dependency.
8 > USE="gui" is a feature.
9 > You only need enable a specific graphics lib flag when there is
10 > ambiguity about what "gui" means for a package.
11 >
12 <snip>
13 > Most apps support one toolkit, often either gtk2/3 or qt4/5. It's a
14 > minority that support both and we have special means to handle those.
15 > For that small set of apps that do support several toolkits, what
16 > exactly are you going to force? If you can have one of gtk 2 or 3 but
17 > not both, which one is it? Well you'd need a USE="gtk2" or USE="gtk3"
18 > to find out what the user wants.
19 >
20 > This proposal makes things simpler and reduces flags and their usage.
21 > "gui" means build the gui the thing supports.
22 > "X" stops meaning "gui" or maybe "XLibs" or perhaps "usually RDP but
23 > also supports magic X11" and starts to mean "X11 Window System" as
24 > opposed to Wayland or Mir.
25 > The other toolkit flags start to mean specific versions of toolkits
26 > and only need be used when things get ambiguous and portage wants you
27 > you tell it what you want.
28 >
29 > In short, flags will get simpler (as cruft will be removed) and flags
30 > gain clearer distinct names. Think of it as a code refactor after
31 > years of accumulating rubbish due to no clear plan.
32 >
33 > Alan
37 +1, thanks for the sensible explanation.
38
39 I guess it's going to take a while to push the update through the tree,
40 but I think the clarification is useful where other USE flags have been
41 previously abused ... use flag abuse is bad generally !