From: Kurt Lieber <klieber@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] install CD bloat
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2003 19:42:48
1 I've used the same installation CD for most of my gentoo installs over the
2 past few months, so I was shocked today when I realized that the smallest
3 install ISO that we currently offer (at least for x86) is 80MB. When I
4 started with Gentoo, it was ~15MB.
5
6 What brought about the nearly six-fold increase in size for our basic
7 installation CD? I understand the LiveCDs have added lots of features and
8 functionality that some of our users have requested -- I have no objections
9 to that. I do, however, object to the fact that the old, simple and small
10 installation CD was killed off. That seems to go against the "Gentoo is
11 about choice" theme that we trumpet.
12
13 Why was this decision made? Who made it?
14
15 --kurt