From: Fabian Groffen <grobian@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Changing policy about -Werror
Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2018 16:21:00
1 On 13-09-2018 18:56:13 +0300, Alon Bar-Lev wrote:
2 > On Thu, Sep 13, 2018 at 6:51 PM Fabian Groffen <grobian@g.o> wrote:
3 > >
4 > > On 12-09-2018 17:46:03 -0700, Matt Turner wrote:
5 > > > On Wed, Sep 12, 2018 at 5:11 PM Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
6 > > > With new GCC comes new warnings, and harmless as the vast majority are
7 > > > they cause the build to break with Werror.
8 > >
9 > > To illustrate harmless:
10 > > warning: this statement may fall through [-Wimplicit-fallthrough=]
11 > > The warning message already has it in it that it's just a pure guess.
12 >
13 > One that exposed a lot of unintentional fallthoughs which were fixed
14 > when reporting to upstream.
15
16 Sure that's why the warning is there. But you ignore the point that the
17 same code compiled fine and ran fine for years without problems.
18
19 > Once again... we should discuss to leave -Werror when policy of
20 > upstream to have no warnings and is maintaining that policy properly
21 > while we at downstream may cooperate and avoid patching upstream but
22 > discuss issues when found.
23
24 On a developer's system, that would be nice.
25
26 For ordinary users on the other hand:
27 Leaving -Werror is leaving our users alone in the dark. Don't do that.
30 Fabian Groffen
31 Gentoo on a different level