From: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Last rites: games-rpg/nwn-shadowlordsdreamcatcherdemon
Date: Fri, 08 Sep 2017 10:10:04
1 >>>>> On Thu, 7 Sep 2017, Rich Freeman wrote:
2
3 > On Thu, Sep 7, 2017 at 5:18 PM, Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
4 >> W dniu czw, 07.09.2017 o godzinie 16∶42 -0400, użytkownik Rich Freeman
5 >> napisał:
6 >>> Are you saying it is sufficient to just point the SRC_URI at the
7 >>> new URL and remove the mask? As far as I can tell that is all that
8 >>> needs to be done. Per the policy the license is readily apparent,
9 >>> so there is no need to contact the authors.
10
11 Huh? The very problem here is that the package has *no* license.
12
13 The LICENSE variable was always mandatory, so originally a package
14 without a license (like the one mentioned in the subject) could
15 not be added to the tree. Or, devs would tag it with the infamous
16 "as-is" license label. Cleaning up the resulting mess was quite a
17 nightmare [1].
18
19 Later it was noticed that there is a specific class of software where
20 there is no license, but that are up for download at their author's
21 site. Examples were dev-libs/djb and other packages related to qmail.
22 We then came up with the "all-rights-reserved" license label [2], in
23 order to permit such software in the tree. (You should be aware of
24 this, because you were a trustee back then).
25
26 Quoting from "all-rights-reserved":
27
28 | This package has an explicit "all rights reserved" clause, or comes
29 | without any license, or only with a disclaimer. This means that you
30 | have only the rights that are granted to you by law. If you have
31 | lawfully acquired a copy of the program (e.g., by buying it or by
32 | downloading it from the author's site) then in many legislations you
33 | are allowed to compile it, run it, make a backup, and to patch it as
34 | necessary, without permission from the copyright holder.
35
36 Note that it explicitly says "downloading from the author's site".
37 I still think that we should handle this in a restrictive way, and
38 permit only sites where we can be reasonably certain that they
39 distribute the software with the copyright holder's approval.
40
41 >> I don't know what is sufficient. It's your business as the new
42 >> maintainer to figure it out and take the responsibility. If there's
43 >> nobody willing to do that, then we don't get to keep the package.
44 >> Simple as that.
45
46 > And how would I figure it out, considering that simply asking on the
47 > list doesn't seem to yield a straight answer? Do you really need me
48 > to put it on the Council agenda? Or do we unmask it, let QA mask it
49 > 10 minutes later, then go back and forth for a month, and THEN put it
50 > on the Council agenda?
51
52 Why not follow kentnl's suggestion? If you don't want to figure out
53 what the connection between the author and the download site is, then
54 make the ebuild fetch restricted, and have the user download the
55 file manually. I'd also suggest to put only the file's basename in
56 SRC_URI then.
57
58 Ulrich
61 [1] https://bugs.gentoo.org/436214