From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Value of Continuous integration vs Code Review / Pull Requests
Date: Wed, 27 May 2020 08:28:09
1 On Wed, 2020-05-27 at 01:14 -0700, Alec Warner wrote:
2 > On Tue, May 26, 2020, 23:08 Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
3 >
4 > > On Tue, 2020-05-26 at 20:24 -0700, Alec Warner wrote:
5 > > > The TL;DR is that a crack team of infra-folks[0] have been putting
6 > > together
7 > > > demos of CI services and things like gitlab / gitea / gerrit and so on.
8 > > >
9 > > > Some of these come in combined (e.g. gitlab offers repo hosting, code
10 > > > review / pull reqs, CI services, and deploy services.) Some of these are
11 > > > piecemeal (e.g. gerrit has code review, zuul has CI) and gitea offers
12 > > > repo-hosting but CI is separate (e.g. drone.)
13 > > >
14 > > > On the infra-side, I think we are pretty happy with repo-hosting
15 > > (gitolite)
16 > > > and repo-serving (gitweb). We are missing a CI piece and a pull-request
17 > > > piece. Most of the users using PRs use either a gitlab or github mirror.
18 > > >
19 > > > I think the value of CI is pretty obvious to me (and I see tons of use
20 > > > cases in Infra.) We could easily build CI into our current repository
21 > > > solution (e.g. gitolite.) However gitolite doesn't really support PRs in
22 > > a
23 > > > uniform way and so CI is mostly for submitted code; similar to the
24 > > existing
25 > > > ::gentoo repo CI offered by mgorny.
26 > > >
27 > > > If we build a code review solution (like gitea / gerrit) would people use
28 > > > it? Would you use it if you couldn't merge (because the code review
29 > > > solution can't gpg sign your commits or merges) so a tool like the
30 > > existing
31 > > > pram tool would be needed to merge?
32 > > >
33 > >
34 > > Does GitLab count? Gerrit is just PITA. I think we had some concerns
35 > > about Gitea, so I'd like to test it before deciding. GitLab OTOH works
36 > > just fine for a lot of projects, and seems the next best thing after
37 > > GitHub
38 >
39 > Gitlab does count (we deployed and tested an onprem version.) I think there
40 > are some major issues with it though.
41 > - Licensing. Gitlab-CE is available, gitlab-EE is not OSS nor OSI approved
42 > and many of the features we need are EE only and are not available in CE.
43
44 What are these features, and why do you believe we need them?
45
46 > - Complex: Gitlab is a giant piece of software with maybe 8-12 components
47 > (unicorn, postgres, redis, memcache, sidekiq, puma, workhouse, gitaly,
48 > grafana, sshd,nginx, prometheus ..the list goes on)
49
50 Is gitea any better?
51
52 > - I think gitlab ships with more features than we will use (CD, docker
53 > registry, issues / bugs, wiki, analytics, snippets, milestones, repo
54 > hosting, repo browsing, ... Again the list goes on.) I don't play to
55 > migrate away from bugs.gentoo.org nor wiki.gentoo.org, nor gitolite. I
56 > think if we did; then gitlab would be a more compelling option because it
57 > is a one-stop-shop solution for those use cases.
58
59 I don't think there is any requirement to use all of them. Furthermore,
60 I think some of them may actually be helpful -- say, some Gentoo-
61 specific projects could use GitLab issue tracker over creating more
62 Bugzilla components.
63
64 > My understanding of gitea is that it works great for not-::gentoo, but
65 > ::gentoo and gitea don't work well and it would require work upstream to
66 > fix; other large repos seemed to work OK in gitea (based on our test
67 > deployment and conversations with gitea upstream.)
68
69 Works great for whom? How many deployments are we talking about? To be
70 honest, I don't think I've stumbled upon a single instance.
71 On the other hand, GitLab deployments are pretty common -- GNOME, Xfce,
72 Debian come instantly to my mind. Then, there's Heptapod -- the GitLab
73 fork for Mercurial.
74
75 > Gerrit is widely used for large projects and I'm not worried for ::gentoo
76 > and we have deployed gerrit and it seems to work fine. Gerrit doesn't have
77 > CI (we would need to deploy something) and it uses gitweb for repository
78 > browsing (which we use today.)
81 Not to mention it's ugly and I found it cumbersome to use.
84 Best regards,
85 Michał Górny