From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] gentoo-x86 tree cleanup for 'DESCRIPTION ends with a '.' character' warnings
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2014 18:45:42
1 Dnia 2014-08-11, o godz. 20:48:20
2 William Hubbs <williamh@g.o> napisał(a):
3
4 > On Sun, Aug 10, 2014 at 03:22:11PM +0300, Sergei Trofimovich wrote:
5 > > Hello World!
6 > >
7 > > TL;DR:
8 > > This evening I plan to mangle ~3000 ebuilds in the main tree
9 > > by dropping trailing '.' in all 'DESCRIPTION=' fields (except "etc." case)
10 > >
11 > > Long story:
12 > >
13 > > As you may know newest portage release 2.2.11
14 > > got a minor (but chatty) QA warning:
15 > > DESCRIPTION ends with a '.' character
16 >
17 > Why is this a QA warning in the first place?
18
19 Because it is a common mistake, and having the warning in-place should
20 help people avoid repeating it.
21
22 > I don't recall a policy mandating that descriptions can't end with '.'. I
23 > asked our QA lead about it and was told that he didn't recall that we
24 > have an official policy about it either. Also, the devmanual never
25 > mentions any such requirement.
26
27 I don't know if and where it is documented but that's what I was taught
28 when I started contributing to Gentoo, and it pretty much follows
29 the common sense. DESCRIPTION is supposed to be short and descriptive.
30 So you do an elliptical sentence (if I got the right translation),
31 and that doesn't end with a dot.
32
33 If you have any fair reason to not follow this, please speak of it.
34 Otherwise, this is pure bikeshed and waste of time. This thread already
35 took much more time than fixing your packages if repoman complained
36 about them.
37
38 > If someone can point me to something I'm missing, let me know.
39 > Otherwise, I think the warning should be removed.
40
41 Even if there were no written-down policy, why would it be removed?
42 What is the benefit of removing the check that resulted in many fixes
43 already? Do you want to revert the removals afterwards? Or do you want
44 to introduce new packages which use '.' there?
47 Best regards,
48 Michał Górny