From: William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc: should openrc be mandatory on all gentoo systems?
Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2011 14:58:16
1 On Wed, Jun 29, 2011 at 02:07:52AM -0400, Mike Frysinger wrote:
2 > On Wednesday, June 29, 2011 01:48:16 Nirbheek Chauhan wrote:
3 > > On Wed, Jun 29, 2011 at 10:35 AM, Mike Frysinger wrote:
4 > > > On Wednesday, June 29, 2011 00:04:57 Michał Górny wrote:
5 > > >> Honestly, I think a better solution would be to provide a convenience
6 > > >> function library, independent of OpenRC. Sourcing random internal
7 > > >> scripts of a random package is just broken by concept.
8 > > >
9 > > > except it hasnt been random and has clearly been defined by having
10 > > > existed since the beginning of Gentoo
11 > >
12 > > I have no idea what this is supposed to mean.
13 >
14 > /etc/init.d/functions.sh has existed for the last decade, and was long ago
15 > decided as the canonical public entry point for scripts external to baselayout
16 > (as opposed to a path in /sbin/). it isnt going anywhere, and painting it as
17 > something in flux at this point is disingenuous.
18
19 I never said that /etc/init.d/functions.sh should go anywhere.
20
21 I guess I'm just questioning why core functionality for our distribution
22 is part of an optional package. Yes, OpenRC is our default init system,
23 but it is optional.
24
25 If I put a separate package in portage, say called gentoo-core that has
26 only the core functions, openrc and gentoo-core would have to block each
27 other and packages that need the core functionality would have to
28 depend on || ( sys-apps/openrc sys-apps/gentoo-core ).
29
30 If I use a use flag for openrc (I'm thinking about core or minimal) to
31 build only the necessary parts of it, that leaves these packages
32 depending on sys-apps/openrc and the user controling the use flag.
33
34 The third option is for openrc to not install the
35 symbolic link at /etc/init.d/functions.sh since the code is actually at
36 /lib/rc/functions.sh or /libexec/rc/functions.sh on the bsds. If I do
37 that in openrc, that would mean that baselayout or another package
38 would have to provide either a symbolic link in
39 /etc/init.d/functions.sh or a script there that provided the functions
40 if openrc was not available.
41
42 Thoughts?
43