From: Peter Stuge <peter@×××××.se>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Discontinuing LibreSSL support?
Date: Tue, 29 Dec 2020 12:45:19
1 Michał Górny wrote:
2 > 1. Stuff that does not build against LibreSSL.
3 > 2. Stuff that builds just fine but fails at runtime in unpredictable
4 > ways (e.g. Tor mentioned today).
5 > 3. Stuff that builds and works 'fine' but ends up being crippled (e.g.
6 > doesn't support new algorithms).
7 >
8 > The first one is somewhat easy to test (e.g. via tinderbox). The other
9 > two are very hard.
10
11 Nod.
14 > > > Actually, I see that someone has apparently forked libtls into
15 > > > libretls (the irony!) that works against OpenSSL [1].
16 > >
17 > > To me, that proves value in the libtls API and in keeping libressl in
18 > > the tree in some capacity, even if not as an alternative to openssl.
19 > >
20 > > Maybe with a USE flag which makes it install only libtls (built from
21 > > libressl static libs), which could be one provider for a
22 > > virtual/libtls.
23 >
24 > I don't see why we would put an effort into that.
25
26 In my very next sentence (not quoted in your reply) I wrote explicitly
27 that I do /not/ ask anyone to do so, but ask that you don't hinder it
28 by masking libressl and also don't remove existing work potentially
29 supporting such efforts, ie. the libressl ebuild.
32 > I've just packaged dev-libs/libretls
33
34 Thanks! That seems useful.
37 > Trying to get the same result from libressl is just repeating the work.
38
39 Maybe for you, and I'm saying that you should be able to make that choice
40 for your systems, but also that you should not hinder others from making
41 another choice, where that's possible and as I wrote without needing
42 Gentoo to patch the world.
45 Thanks a lot
46
47 //Peter