From: waltdnes@××××××××.org
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] usr merge
Date: Sat, 09 Apr 2016 05:32:35
1 On Fri, Apr 08, 2016 at 11:59:09PM -0400, Damien Levac wrote
2 >
3 > > Seriously... how many people run Bluetooth keyboards on Gentoo
4 > > anyways?
5 >
6 > That you ask such a question is concerning to me. Are we
7 > discriminating against normal desktop users now?
8
9 Here's the item that really bugs me...
10
11 before - many people successfully used separate /usr, without initramfs.
12 A few edge cases, e.g. people with bluetooth keyboards, had to use
13 initramfs if they wanted a separate /usr. The poor darlings felt left
14 out because they had to do extra setup work, versus the other 95%.
15
16 now - an arbitrary decree comes down that *EVERYBODY* who wants a
17 separate /usr needs to have initramfs.
18
19 * IT DOES NOT MAKE THINGS ANY EASIER FOR THE ORIGINAL 5% EDGE CASES *.
20 But the other 95% who could run separate /usr are now being told they
21 must run initramfs "just because". What does it accomplish?
22
23 BTW, I'm still running a separate /usr without initramfs, and no related
24 problems; thank you. If I decided to go to an edge-case setup (e.g.
25 Bluetooth keyboard, or ell partitions encrypted) then I could understand
26 being asked to run initramfs.
27
28 This is reminiscent of the "Mozilla Mentality", where everybody is
29 forced to the lowest common denominator. Yes, a desktop GUI sucks on
30 a tablet/smartphone; I get it. So Firefox was saddled with the
31 smartphone-oriented Atrocious^H^H^H^H^H^H Australis GUI, which sucks
32 on a desktop. That was the last straw that drove me to Pale Moon.
35 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
36 I don't run "desktop environments"; I run useful applications