From: "Jörg Schaible" <joerg.schaible@×××.de>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Help with new Cocoon ebuild
Date: Wed, 07 Jan 2004 22:00:24
1 Hi gang,
2
3 since I need a new Cocoon release for another package, I created a new
4 ebuild for it for current release 2.1.3 (my first ebuild at all). I just
5 took the old version for 2.0.2 and adjusted it for the current needs. While
6 it went fine, I am not too happy with it at all. Basically the old ebuild
7 just build the cocoon.war and installed it into an existing Tomcat release.
8 This has following problems:
9
10 - my next package is build upon Cocoon, but anything left by the ebuild are
11 the docs and the war file in Tomcat
12 - there are multiple servlet containers that can run Cocoon. In portage we
13 have already Tomcat, Resin, jBoss and j2eesdk. Installing Cocoon the hard
14 way into Tomcat is probably not what the user wants, even more, the
15 complete build is nonsense if he does not have Tomcat
16 - Cocoon can run standalone
17 - Cocoon is not reported as a java-package by java-config
18
19 Therefore I would like to:
20 - build Cocoon into /usr/share/cocoon
21 - provide a package.env
22 - support USE-flags for installation of Cocoon into existing servlet
23 containers or have a global virtual/servlet-container where cocoon is
24 installed
25
26 Looking at the ant ebuilds I can see the inherited java-pkg, but I am not
27 sure, what this really means or if there is any documentation. Additionally
28 I did not found the location of the eclasses (possibly an oversight in the
29 docs).
30
31 Also I am not sure about the strategy for the servlet container problem. If
32 there is a default servlet container in the virtuals, Cocoon could be
33 installed automatically, but I wonder if this is really what a user wants.
34 Cocoon itself just is a "library" with samples. The generated webapp is of
35 no use for production and mainly an example how to build your own webpp. It
36 is fine, if you can test Cocoon after installation, but that's all.
37
38 Any thoughts and hints welcome!
39
40 Regards,