From: Thierry Carrez <koon@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo Enterprise deployment tools
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2005 18:38:13
1 Alec Warner wrote:
2
3 >> There is no obvious way to freeze a Portage tree (or to design a
4 >> specific profile) for testing on a golden workstation, to build a set of
5 >> update packages (ServicePack) and push it to the workstations, or to
6 >> have centralized accountability of what's installed where. There is no
7 >> easy way to avoid having to keep a synchronized copy of the portage tree
8 >> on all systems, even when using yourown-binaries.
9 >
10 > Network mountable trees seem to work well enough although an emerge
11 > --metadata is still required on clients.
12 > I would disagree also on the profile argument. Profiles are very
13 > powerful, very details, and have decent manpages as well as literally
14 > tons of examples. What specifically is stopping you from rolling your
15 > own profile?
16 >
17 > The rest of that stuff is a generally well known about issue ( at least
18 > in the portage community ). Many features of portage-2.1 will be
19 > helpful in this type of situation.
20
21 I probably wasn't clear :)
22
23 I don't say that it cannot be done, and I don't ask what's the best way
24 to do it. I just ask *if* we should try to provide higher-level tools
25 (and/or doc) to help in doing so. It's not obvious (especially for
26 non-developers) how to proceed in that situation, even if a lot of
27 people have designed their own solution in their corner.
28
29 >> With automatic deployments, would we run into difficult-to-solve
30 >> etc-update problems ? Should/could the ServicePack system take care of
31 >> that ?
32 >
33 > I wouldn't use etc-update for this on a enterprise rollout personally.
34 > If you need config cfengine does a nice job, as well as using
35 > cvs/rcs/something-else
36
37 Again, the technology is out there, it's just not tightly integrated.
38 Should we leave it as-is and let everyone design his own tools to
39 connect the dots or should we ?
40
41 >> Even in a simpler setup (preprod > production) we don't have the tools
42 >> to push a software configuration change from a test machine to a
43 >> production one.
44 >
45 > What exactly are you looking for here?
46
47 Should we provide high-level software that defines an update pack (new
48 binaries + configuration changes), allows to test it on a preproduction
49 system and (once tested) to push it to registered production systems ?
50 Or let everyone write his own treefreezing + network mounts + shell
51 scripts + cfengine / CVS magic combo to do it ?
52
53 > Portage needs work; I know the devs are working on it, I know there
54 > are other people who are doing there own things. I see a lot of
55 > portage-2.1 features that greatly simplify what you are trying to do (
56 > repositories, config rewrite..etc.. ). I think portage and what it
57 > covers is a big part of this. Recollecting a conversation with jstubbs
58 > about portage he mentioned that he wouldn't want the portage-team to
59 > maintain a Enterprise-like distribution program, but that the new API
60 > would be great to write one against ;)
61
62 I don't think it should be the role of the portage-team either.
63
64 > I also know Chotchki was looking at doing his senior thesis on a network
65 > aware portage that did some cool things. A lot of this is just waiting
66 > ( and helping :) :) ) the portage devs get the work done that needs to
67 > get done.
68 >
69 > I know Cardoe and genstef? are working on a seperate package manager
70 > that just handles binaries but uses all the current portage stuff, so
71 > you might want to talk to them as well.
72
73 I sure hope they will comment on that thread :)
76 Koon
77 --
78 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list