From: Sergey Popov <pinkbyte@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] QA bikeshed: killing USE=dedicated in favor of uniform USE=client+server
Date: Fri, 21 Aug 2015 07:16:41
1 20.08.2015 20:42, Michał Górny пишет:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > Right now, a number of game packages are using USE=dedicated to control
5 > 'installing a dedicated game server only'. Aside to that, some game
6 > packages also have USE=server that controls building the server itself.
7 > Non-game package use USE=client and USE=server.
8 >
9 > In order to improve uniformity of USE flags across different packages,
10 > the QA team would like to deprecate USE=dedicated and use USE=client
11 > and USE=server as appropriate.
12 >
13 > The problems I see with USE=dedicated are:
14 >
15 > - it is game-specific. The term 'dedicated server' is not used amongst
16 > other server/client model packages.
17 >
18 > - It uses negative logic. Instead of enabling something, it disables
19 > client. Pretty much 'dedicated' == 'noclient'. Negative logic is
20 > confusing.
21 >
22 > - In packages having USE=server as well, it can lead to really absurd
23 > combinations, like what does 'USE=dedicated -server' mean? Will it
24 > build no executables at all? If we add REQUIRED_USE='dedicated?
25 > ( server )', this gets quite unfriendly.
26 >
27 > As an alternative, we would use USE=client and USE=server along with
28 > proper IUSE defaults to control client & server builds appropriately.
29 > Both flags use positive logic, and REQUIRED_USE='|| ( client server )'
30 > is rather clear.
31 >
32 > Does anyone see any real problems with that?
35 <qa team lead hat>
36 While i am all for unification, i do not think that this is the case,
37 where QA should be involved. "Dedicated server" is established phrase,
38 that all users, who wants to maintain such services, know. So, i do not
39 think that our direct interaction is needed here. If we want to change
40 something in this direction - it should be done in tight connection with
41 Games team
42 </qa team lead hat>
43
44 Ok, now my personal opinion follows. USE flag description for
45 'dedicated' is contrintuitive for me.
46
47 - - dedicated : Add support for dedicated game servers (some packages
48 do not provide clients and servers at the same time)
49
50 It seems that it build ONLY servers for some packages and for others -
51 it allows you to have dedicated server IN ADDITION to regular client.
52 That's confusing.
53
54 Now, THAT should be fixed either way - by moving 'dedicated' to
55 'server'(for those packages), or, preferabbly - by allowing
56 USE='dedicated' to work as hasufell said - build ONLY dedicated server
57 and no client at all.
60 Best regards, Sergey Popov
61 Gentoo developer
62 Gentoo Desktop Effects project lead
63 Gentoo Quality Assurance project lead
64 Gentoo Proxy maintainers project lead