From: Thomas Beierlein <tomjbe@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc: amateur radio applications should not be in media-radio
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2010 09:16:35
1 On Wed, 14 Jul 2010 14:16:54 -0500
2 William Hubbs <williamh@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > On Wed, Jul 14, 2010 at 08:48:25PM +0200, Thomas Beierlein wrote:
5 > > On Wed, 14 Jul 2010 12:27:47 -0500
6 > > William Hubbs <williamh@g.o> wrote:
7 > >
8 > > > All,
9 > > >
10 > > > I have recently noticed that our amateur radio applications are
11 > > > in the category media-radio.
12 > > >
13 > > > Amateur Radio is not considered part of the media, so I would
14 > > > like to propose renaming this category to app-hamradio, or
15 > > > possibly moving the amateur radio applications to app-hamradio if
16 > > > there are things in media-radio which are not amateur radio
17 > > > related.
18 > > >
19 > > I like the idea very much. But I am an radio amateur and therefore
20 > > I am a little bit biased :). I was always confused to find them in
21 > > media-radio. If we do the move please count on me.
22 >
23 > I am an amateur radio operator as well, and that is why putting the
24 > ham radio apps in"media-radio" bothers me. Ham radio is not part of
25 > the media.
26 > > But to be honest there are some amateur (ham) radio related
27 > > packages in other categories too (e.g. app-misc/aldo - a cw morse
28 > > trainer, app-text/7plus - a packet radio text encoder, ..). So
29 > > maybe a general cleanup would be good.
30 > >
31 > > A quick count in media-radio gives 12 packages for amateur radio
32 > > and 2 others (the second one coming in just today). In sunrise
33 > > there are 11 amateur radio related packages and 0 others. That
34 > > means a move to app-hamradio would leave media-radio nearly empty.
35 >
36 > I would say that if the sunrise packages eventually get moved into
37 > portage, they should go in app-hamradio instead of media-radio, then
38 > maybe we could move the other ham radio packages over there, but then
39 > what would be the best choice for whatever is left in media-radio?
42 I wonder if there is a formal approach to add new categories to
43 the tree or rename existing ones?
44
45 Thomas