From: Ovidiu Ghinet <ovidiu@××××××××××××××××××××××.ro>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] About alsa-driver
Date: Sat, 21 Jun 2003 12:49:09
1 Sorry to pop in without preliminary apointment :))
2
3 I have a small suggestion about alsa-driver
4
5 You see i have two kernels 2.4.21 and 2.5.72, more to say is that i have
6 configured sound for my pci card (cs4281) buid in, NOT as a module this
7 maked me think that:
8
9 /etc/init.d/alsasound: must be modified to not check for /proc/asound
10
11 /etc/init.d/alsasound: must be modified to try to modprobe snd-somethings
12 only with 2.4 kernels and only for 2.5 kernels with sound drivers compiled
13 as modules (witch is not an optional thing to do even if you do the
14 following IMPORTANT change)
15
16 /etc/init.d/alsasound: SHOULD BE PART OF THE alsa-utils NOT FROM
17 alsa-driver
18 And i say that because:
19 - if we run 2.5 kernels there is no need to install those modules
20 that alsa-driber ebuild anyway will not succed in compiling if no 2.4.x
21 sources founded in /usr/src/linux... making people scream and shout...
22 - /etc/init.d/alsasound needs "alsactl" anyway on boths kernel
23 aproches...
24
25 /etc/modules.d/alsa: remains a problematic issue we can leave it to
26 "alsa-driver" in the hope that if the user knows how to compile a 2.5.x
27 kernel with alsa drivers as modules, NOT build in, will also know how
28 to make a /etc/modules.d/alsa but BETTER to not asume such things
29 /etc/modules.d/alsa in my opinion can also be part of "alsa-utils"
34 In my virtually reality mind i think that making
35 /etc/init.d/alsasound part of "alsa-utils" and /etc/modules.d/alsa part of
36 "alsa-driver" can make our life easier (if we want 2.5.x kernel THAT WILL
37 BE SOON 2.6 so... HURRY UP MY FRIEND)
38
39 Ovidiu Ghinet
46 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list