From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] udev <-> mdev
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2012 20:08:38
1 On Thu, Jul 12, 2012 at 09:37:33AM -0400, Ian Stakenvicius wrote
2
3 First a disclaimer... I am not a C programmer, let alone a developer.
4 I feel like I've been dragged into this kicking and screaming in order
5 to save the Gentoo that I remember from a few years ago.
6
7 > Out of curiosity, since mdev is (i assume) more than complete enough
8 > to handle mounting, would it be possible to initially start with mdev
9 > and then hand over control to udev (if there was a need for udev, that
10 > is) , to avoid initramfs with separate /usr ?
11
12 I think that's exactly how initramfs itself works. You might be able
13 to use an initrd instead of initramfs. See Zac Medico's posting at...
14 http://archives.gentoo.org/gentoo-dev/msg_20749880f5bc5feda141488498729fe8.xml
15 That was the clue that got me started on replacing udev with mdev.
16
17 Once you have psuedo-filesystems and partitions mounted, you need to
18 shut down mdev and start up udev. And make sure that
19 /proc/sys/kernel/hotplug points to udev.
20
21 If you want to get fancy, you can boot from a separate small boot
22 partition, or for that matter a USB key. Then either chroot or
23 pivot_root into the udev environment. For pivot_root man pages see
24 http://linux.die.net/man/8/pivot_root and
25 http://linux.die.net/man/2/pivot_root
28 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>