From: "Malte S. Stretz" <msquadrat.nospamplease@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Handling of /etc/mime.types
Date: Mon, 09 Aug 2004 13:21:16
1 On Sunday 08 August 2004 23:19 CET Tom Martin wrote:
2 > At the moment, several packages I can think of provide /etc/mime.types:
3 >[...]
4 >
5 > Obviously, this isn't great. The plan net-mail have come up with is to
6 > amalgamate all the current mime.types installed by these packages into
7 > one super-duper mime.types and then put it in app-misc/mime-types. [...]
8
9 I'm not sure, but this might be what the Shared MIME Database project [2] is
10 heading for. They are currently seeking maintainers who keep that stuff
11 up-to-date.
12
13 >[...]
14 > So.. I would like two things. First of all, I'd really appreciate it if
15 > everyone reading could run "equery belongs /etc/mime.types" and reply
16 > with anything that *wasn't* included in the list at the start of this
17 > post. And, of course, I'd like to know everyone's thoughts on this.
18
19 qtopia-desktop-bin additionally installs its own database in /opt:
20 app-pda/qtopia-desktop-bin-1.7.0 (/opt/Qtopia/qtopiadesktop/etc/mime.types)
21
22 Cheers,
23 Malte
24
25 [2] http://www.freedesktop.org/Standards/shared-mime-info-spec
28 [SGT] Simon G. Tatham: "How to Report Bugs Effectively"
29 <http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html>
30 [ESR] Eric S. Raymond: "How To Ask Questions The Smart Way"
31 <http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html>
34 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list