From: Georgi Georgiev <chutz@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Pending Removal of $KV
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2006 22:27:33
1 maillog: 09/07/2006-17:17:59(+0100): John Mylchreest types
2 > I've tried to clarify my point fairly well above, but the dependancy
3 > is fairly strict by design. What in linux-mod except for my specific
4 > example above would continue to work if there were no kernel sources
5 > present? (I do of course know the answer but its rhetorical)
6 >
7 > To that end is the reason why the dependancy still exists. That said,
8 > I'm open to persuasion.
9
10 I'm having trouble putting my thoughts in order, so I'll just throw them
11 out, hoping it would make some sense.
12
13 - if linux-sources is a dependency, then the package usually would need
14 to be rebuilt if the kernel configuration/sources change (linux-mod
15 already faciliates that for a good reason)
16 - even if an ebuild is being smart and is only using linux-info to throw
17 informational messages, the sources dependency is still there
18 - an ebuild should specify the linux-sources dependency on its own if it
19 really needs the sources
20
21 Having said that, out of the 62 packages that inherit linux-info and do
22 not inherit linux-mod:
23
24 - 23 only make .config checks (should be non-fatal anyway)
25 - 9 install kernel modules (so they should rather inherit linux-mod)
26 - 8 need the kernel sources to build, so they should probably inherit
27 linux-mod as well
28 - 6 have a DEPEND=virtual/linux-sources already
29 - 4 use linux-info to modify runtime behavior
30 - 2 are obsolete
31
32 This is only the easily classifiable stuff, but it certainly does seem
33 that the linux-sources dependency can be pulled out of the eclass.
36 /\ Georgi Georgiev /\ You have a truly strong individuality. /\
37 \/ chutz@×××.net \/ \/
38 /\ http://www.gg3.net/ /\ /\