From: foser <foser@×××××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] GLEP: Gentoo Menu System - Version 2
Date: Sat, 13 Dec 2003 18:26:25
1 On Fri, 2003-12-12 at 19:48, Heinrich Wendel wrote:
2
3 > Based on the comments of the last thread on -dev about this GLEP I created a
4 > new version. Please take a look at
5 >
6 > http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/glep/glep-0016.html
7
8 The new GLEP is short on how to actually implement these changes. What
9 is the implementation plan for the *box-es, kde, xfce, etc. ? Gnome
10 should be fairly trivial to adapt at this point.
11
12 What is the plan regarding .desktop items, most of the current items are
13 based on slightly older desktop spec. Do we plan to support those as
14 well (the reference library implementations [12] & [13] don't handle
15 them completely correct afaik) ? Also there are quite a few apps that
16 use so called legacy .desktop files -the menu spec can handle those-,
17 but is that what we want (i'd say yes)?
18
19 In general i pretty much agree with what is stated in this revision,
20 only the part about portage commands is a bit unclear, domenu & doicon
21 should be functions for the few apps that do not create entries
22 themselves. This happens almost never.
23
24 The icon theme i don't really understand. Apps come with their own icons
25 usually, i see no need for a reference (?) gentoo icon set.
26
27 - foser
31 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list