From: Sean Mitchell <SMitchell@×××××××××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@××××××××××.org
Subject: RE: [gentoo-dev] Suggestion: DONT_USE flags
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2001 11:40:41
1 > I agree. I think interactive ebuilds are very powerful and important.
2 >
3 > The ebuilds would ask questions - what libraries to link with
4 > etc., and
5 > possibly configuration options could be added. The USE flags
6 > would become the
7 > system-wide default answers.
8 >
9 > In the meantime, if drobbins/achim/everyone else don't want
10 > to change emerge
11 > to suit (maybe not yet), we should at least decide on a standard
12 > question/ansewr format and perhaps add a simple handler
13 > function to emerge.
14
15 I haven't taken a really good look at emerge yet, but from what I've seen
16 this could actually be implemented in the src_compile() function of the
17 ebuild itself. It would mean a bit of redundant functionality in the ebuilds
18 themselves, but I think it could accomplish the purpose.
19
20 Sean
21
23 Sean Mitchell Software Engineer
24 smitchell@×××××××××××××××××××.com Phoenix Interactive Design Inc
25 tel. 519-679-2913 x237 4th Floor, 137 Dundas St
26 fax. 519 679 6773 London, ON, Canada N6A 1E9
27 ICQ# 104246806