From: heroxbd@g.o
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Portage QOS
Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2014 07:54:51
1 Patrick Lauer <patrick@g.o> writes:
2
3 > For python things you really want python or C instead of C++...
4
5 Well, we have boost-python to do python extensions in C++. And yes,
6 introducing boost as a dependency to portage is not cool.
7
8 >> I guess the dep-tree calculation is the slowest part.
9 > Yes, it's doing lots of silly dynamic things (backtracking), and
10 > portage codebase on average is not designed for speed.
11 >
12 > As a first step I would recommend profiling it and removing unneeded
13 > stuff (do less work!), rewriting parts in C is a lot of work and not
14 > needed for the first round of speedups.
15
16 Cython[1] can be used to generate C code quickly to avoid spending to much
17 time coding in C.
18
19 1. http://www.cython.org