From: Ernesto <xtango@×××××××××××××.ar>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo 1.4 suggestion - bootstrap with distcc
Date: Wed, 09 Oct 2002 15:19:22
1 On 09 Oct 2002 13:55:45 -0400
2 Mark Guertin <mguertin@×××××××××××××.com> wrote:
3 >
4 > In my testing I found that distcc is extremely unreliable at this
5 > point. It might be a nice option to have available but I highly
6 > reccomend not using it for bootstrap, etc. Even on things that look to
7 > be compiling properly there have been some problems. This ws with 4
8 > different versions of distcc so far, so just wanted people to be aware
9 > of this.
12 Interesting... I've seen distcc fail to compile some packages but -fortunately- I haven't had any problem with packages that distcc successfully compiled. I only used versions 0.10 and 0.11.
13
14 I still would like to beta-test a bootstrap process powered by distcc. In case it works, it would be a really nice speed boost to the installation process. I think it's worth the time even if you only build gcc, glibc and the kernel with distcc (gcc and kernel are confirmed to work ok).
15
16 Regards,