From: Hendrik Visage <hvisage@×××××××××××.za>
To: gentoo-dev@××××××××××.org
Subject: Re: [Re: [gentoo-dev] CD-RW devfs]
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2001 10:32:01
1 On Mon, Oct 22, 2001 at 12:36:04PM +0100, Viktor Lakics wrote:
2 > Dear Hendrik,
3 >
4 > NOw I am confused. Do I need to have SCSI cdrom support in the kernel? I only
5 > have ide-scsi, scsi generic and ide-cd compiled as modules. I thought I only
6 > need SCSI cdrom support if I have a REAL scsi device...
7 >
8 > What is EXACTLY the minimum set of IDE and scsi option then what I need
9 > in the kernel in ordrt to use my cdrw to write and to use it as a cdrom as
10 > well (meaning mounting CDs and reading them)?!
11
12 For CD-RW usage (With stuff like cdrecord and friends), and accessing the
13 CDROM, you'll need
14 1) sg or pg (sg for SCSI, and pg for parallel port) for the raw communication
15 to the CD-RW that cdrecord needs. These are the "Generic" devices.
16 2) sr_mod or pcd (sr_mod for SCSI, pcd for parallel port)
17 as well as the "standard" cdrom etc. for acessing it as a CDROM device.
18
19 sr_mod & sg is under the SCSI config in the kernel, while pg & pcd are
20 somewhere under the parallel port stuff.
21
22 However, you have a IDE CD-RW:
23 Now the IDE (Actually ATAPI) CD-RWs are making use of a SCSI-over-IDE
24 encapsulation. Thus the need for ide-scsi. You'll notice that when you
25 install the Adaptec/Nero etc. software on Windows, that they also installs a
26 SCSI (aspi I think) layer for comms to the CDRW.
27
28 Now the config at boot time:
29 hdc=ide-scsi (I guess, machine @home :()
30
31 This tells the IDE/ATAPI layer to NOT initialize this drive in the IDE
32 chain for things, but that it'll be handled as a SCSI device.
33
34 Thus the need for modprobe ide-scsi to load the SCSI-over-IDE modules.
35 Then you'll have to modprobe sg for cdrecord to work, and lastly
36 modprobe sr_mod for this faked-SCSI CDROM (on the IDE/ATAPI bus).
37
38 Hope this clears it, as I just wished the ATAPI/IDE/ATA standards died a
39 silent/quiet/quick/horrific/long-forgotten death ages ago, so that we could
40 all be using SCSI with it zillions of NICE(tm) features like tag-command-queues
41 etc. etc. etc.
42
43 GReetz
44 HEndrik