From: Chris White <chriswhite@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] [LARGE MESSAGE] Media-sound reorganization!
Date: Sun, 07 Nov 2004 20:36:12
1 All,
2
3 Hi, it's your favorite cashew dev Chris. It's come to my attention that
4 media-sound is FREAKING HUGE (like this email)! I've found that when
5 people ask me "Hey Chris! What's a good mp3 alternative to xmms!", I
6 often find myself saying "Let me browse a couple thousand packages to
7 give you a good idea!". Yah right! Like I have time for that! Here's a
8 nice plan I spat out (this was done awhile ago, so it might be missing a
9 couple of packages :P). This includes categories and packages.
10
11 sound-streaming: programs that deal with sound over network
12 sound-players: mp3/cd/anything players go here
13 sound-filtering: anything that filters or adds effects (I consider
14 effects "filters", but maybe that's just me) to audio
15 sound-radio: this deals with both internet and fm radio cards
16 sound-drivers: drivers for soundcards
17 sound-dj: programs for dj-ing or playlist creation/management
18 sound-management: programs that sort/manage mp3 files
19 sound-midi: programs that deal with midi
20 sound-portable: programs/drivers that interface with portable music devices
21 sound-mixers: programs that act as mixers for alsa/oss/anything
22 sound-dev: there were some packages that create sound through scripting
23 language, or create sound applications, those went here.
24 sound-accessibility: voice recognition software went here. I'm thinking
25 of taking a lot of programs from app-accessibility and moving them here.
26 sound-instruments: anything that does instrument tunning or emulates
27 instruments
28 sound-encoders: anything that encodes/converts to mp3/ogg/whatever
29 sound-sheet: programs that deal with sheet music notation/reading
30 sound-editors: programs that edit audio files
31 sound-rippers: programs that rip audio from a source
32 sound-daemons: sound server programs go here
33 sound-taggers: programs that deal with audio file tagging (ie. id3 tags)
34 sound-synth: sound synthesizer programs
35 sound-tools: programs that don't fall into the above categories. I
36 consider this the "misc" section.
37 sound-data: places for drum kits/sound presets/etc.
38
39 sound-streaming
40 -acast
41 -bossogg
42 -daapd
43 -darkice
44 -daudio
45 -edna
46 -erec
47 -gini
48 -gnump3d
49 -imp3sh
50 -litestream
51 -mimd
52 -mserv
53 -muse
54 -rat
55 -rplay
56 -shoutcast-server-bin
57 -shoutcast-trans-bin
58 -teamspeak2-client-bin
59 -teamspeak2-server-bin
60 -ventrilo-server-bin
61 -icecast
62 -ices
63 sound-players
64 -adplay
65 -alsaplayer
66 -amarok
67 -amp
68 -apollo
69 -aylet
70 -beep-media-player
71 -bplay
72 -cdcd
73 -cdplay
74 -cplay
75 -dcd
76 -digitaldj
77 -glurp
78 -gmpc
79 -gqmpeg
80 -kmp
81 -liteamp
82 -madplay
83 -mcdp
84 -mikmod
85 -moc
86 -moosic
87 -mp3blaster
88 -mpc
89 -mpfc
90 -mpg123
91 -mpg321
92 -mplay
93 -mucke
94 -muine
95 -ncmpc
96 -noxmms
97 -orpheus
98 -playspc_gtk
99 -quark
100 -rawrec
101 -rhythmbox
102 -sexypsf
103 -sidplay
104 -sonic-rainbow
105 -splay
106 -squelch
107 -takcd
108 -tunesbrowser
109 -waif
110 -wavplay
111 -xmms
112 -xmp
113 -zinf
114 sound-filtering
115 -aseqview
116 -brutefir
117 -creox
118 -ecamegapedal
119 -jack-rack
120 -tapiir
121 sound-radio
122 -fmtools
123 -gnomeradio
124 -gnomoradio
125 -gqradio
126 -gradio
127 -kradio
128 sound-drivers
129 -alsa-driver
130 -alsa-firmware
131 -alsa-headers
132 -alsa-patch-bay
133 -emu10k1
134 -fobbit
135 -nforce-audio
136 -rcenter
137 -sbconf
138 -sulu
139 sound-DJ
140 -DBMix
141 -bpmdj
142 -fapg
143 -mixxx
144 sound-management
145 -cd-discid
146 -cdtool
147 -kmusicdb
148 -longplayer
149 -madman
150 -mp3kult
151 -mp3mover
152 -prokyon3
153 -radiostation
154 -wavesurfer
155 -yammi
156 sound-midi
157 -fmdrv
158 -museseq
159 -playmidi
160 -pmidi
161 -rosegarden
162 -seq24
163 -specimen
164 -timidity++
165 -timidity-eawpatches
166 -timidity-shompatches
167 sound-mp3players
168 -gnomad
169 -positron
170 -usbmidi
171 sound-mixers
172 -alsamixergui
173 -aumix
174 -cmix
175 -ermixer
176 -gamix
177 -gnome-alsamixer
178 -gom
179 -kamix
180 -knob
181 -opmixer
182 -psmix
183 -rexima
184 -setmixer
185 -smixer
186 -umix
187 sound-dev
188 -cm
189 -demolition
190 -galan
191 -gsm
192 -jmax
193 sound-accessibility
194 -cvoicecontrol
195 -saydate
196 sound-instruments
197 -gtkguitune
198 -horgand
199 -hydrogen
200 -k3guitune
201 -psindustrializer
202 -trommler
203 -vkeybd
204 sound-encoders
205 -ardour
206 -audiocompress
207 -bladeenc
208 -gogo
209 -lame
210 -mp32ogg
211 -musepack-tools
212 -shorten
213 -streamtranscoder
214 -toolame
215 -vlorb
216 -wavpack
217 sound-sheet
218 -abcm2ps
219 -denemo
220 -lilypond
221 -mup
222 -musescore
223 -noteedit
224 -scret
225 sound-editors
226 -audacity
227 -cheesetracker
228 -ecasound
229 -glame
230 -gnusound
231 -gramofile
232 -jamin
233 -mhwaveedit
234 -pd
235 -protux
236 -rezound
237 -snd
238 -sox
239 -sweep
240 sound-rippers
241 -abcde
242 -cdmp3
243 -cdparanoia
244 -cdstatus
245 -choad
246 -grip
247 -gstreamripper
248 -icecream
249 -jack
250 -kstreamripper
251 -mp3c
252 -rip
253 -ripperx
254 -sound-juicer
255 -streamripper
256 -xmcd
257 sound-daemons
258 -esound
259 -jack-audio-connection-kit
260 -mpd
261 sound-data
262 - all the hydrogen kits I'm about to commit :P
263 sound-taggers
264 -SmarTagger
265 -audiotag
266 -cantus
267 -easytag
268 -id3
269 -id3ed
270 -id3tool
271 -id3v2
272 -kid3
273 -mp3info
274 -musicman
275 -qmbtagger
276 -tagtool
277 sound-synth
278 -ams
279 -amsynth
280 -beast
281 -beast-data
282 -fluidsynth
283 -freebirth
284 -gmorgan
285 -qsynth
286 -sfc
287 -smurf
288 -spiralmodular
289 -swami
290 -terminatorx
291 -zynaddsubfx
292 sound-tools
293 -albumart
294 -alsa-tools
295 -alsa-utils
296 -audio-entropyd
297 -awesfx
298 -bitscope
299 -ctrlxmms
300 -extace
301 -freqtweak
302 -glmix
303 -gtick
304 -hearnet
305 -kaconnect
306 -krecord
307 -meterbridge
308 -mp3_check
309 -mp3asm
310 -mp3check
311 -mp3gain
312 -mp3splt
313 -mp3wrap
314 -normalize
315 -oggtst
316 -ogmtools
317 -ptabtools
318 -qjackconnect
319 -qjackctl
320 -shntool
321 -solfege
322 -soundtracker
323 -ssrc
324 -streamixer
325 -synaesthesia
326 -tempest_for_eliza
327 -timemachine
328 -trm
329 -vorbis-tools
330 -vorbisgain
331 -vsound
332 -wavbreaker
333 -wavsplit
334 -wmsound-data
335 -xmmsctrl
336 -yconsole
337
338 That's all, now go ahead and comment / whatever. However, if you say "I
339 think it's a good idea to not organize those 20 billion packages in
340 media-sound", I'll probably slap you with a wet flounder, close my ears
341 and say "hear no evil"! Peace :P.
344 Chris White <chriswhite@g.o>
346 Sound | Video | Security
347 Mozilla | Haskell | Lang-misc