From: Daniel Robbins <drobbins@g.o>
To: Arthur Britto <ahbritto@×××.com>
Cc: Riyad Kalla <rsk@×××××××××.edu>, gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Problem reporting (WAS: final release ?)
Date: Tue, 24 Dec 2002 16:32:39
1 On Sat, 2002-12-21 at 23:01, Arthur Britto wrote:
2 > You've just highlighted one of the biggest problems with Gentoo: manual
3 > problem discovery and resolution. When a package breaks, someone must
4 > (1) manually discover it, (2) search mailing lists for Gentoo and the
5 > application, (3) search the forums for Gentoo and the application, (4)
6 > attempt reasonable diagnostics to insure the problem is not just with
7 > their system, (5) if they are competent they might try to solve the
8 > problem, and (6) share their problem with the community.
9
10 We are taking significant steps to "fix" this, starting with better
11 handling of our bugs (and more accountability of how they are handled)
12 on bugs.gentoo.org. Several developers including myself are now fully
13 caught up on bugs -- unresolved bugs get checked daily for new comments,
14 etc.
15
16 One of the major things that has caused this "manual discovery" problem
17 is our extremely rapid growth, which resulted in many developers getting
18 overwhelmed with bugs. Once a developer has more than 50 bugs on his
19 plate, it becomes a bit overwhelming to keep tabs on all of them. If
20 they don't get addressed quickly, then they can linger for longer than
21 is acceptable. Our dev team is growing every week to address our rapidly
22 growing user-base. (See our Gentoo Weekly Newsletter, bottom, for devs
23 who were added in the last week.)
24
25 Just wanted to chime in and say "we're workin' on it!" :)
26
27 Best Regards,
30 Daniel Robbins
31 Chief Architect, Gentoo Linux