From: Svyatogor <svyatogor@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] the vision for Gentoo
Date: Sat, 28 Jun 2003 18:22:39
1 > 1) What engages and inspires us?
2 I think you formulated it quite right. Ability to learn and to do cool
3 things in technology, that's what links many people with free s/w in
4 general and with Gentoo in particular. I am one of those people. Talking
5 about other things which inspire me I think it is the sense of taking
6 part in something important. Now, when I can more or less see Gentoo
7 from inside, I'd it is growing from a Linux distro into a concept. Yes,
8 I think it is becoming a concept and furthermore it is coherent with the
9 ideas of open source.
10
11 I would to mention one more great thing about gentoo, it is it's amazing
12 community, both users and devs. I find both of them very friendly and
13 opened. Believe me, I have something to compare it with. Before I came
14 across gentoo (that was around a year ago), I was working with Mandrake
15 and was even trying to contribute something to them. There I was feeling
16 like breaking through a wall (or trying to get employed in a big
17 corporation, which is about the same thing). Their attitude to those
18 users who are not club members is topic of a different discussion.
19 However, I'll repeat myself, gentoo communities are very friendly, and I
20 find it an important part of the success.
23 > 2) How do we formulate this "excitement/spirit" into a collective vision for
24 > Gentoo?
25 Hmm, I really don't think I am able to make any comments on this, just
26 moving on to the next part.
29 > 3) How do we best implement this vision?
30 Here, I'd rather agree with what Gerry said. If it's gonna comfort many
31 people then, yes, it would be good to non-profit. Let alone the fact
32 that many people do not understand well these legal questions and what
33 different statuses mean for them as users or as developers. So I think
34 at least after the decision is made it would be nice to post some
35 clarifications on the legal status means/implies.
36
37 P.S. When I was talking about Mandrake I did not mean to insult anyone
38 at all. I just talked about my own experience in other community.
41 Let the Force be with us!
42 Sergey Kuleshov <svyatogor@g.o>
46 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list