From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Guidance on adding kernel config checks to ebuilds
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2021 17:56:23
1 On Mon, Sep 27, 2021 at 1:44 PM Robin H. Johnson <robbat2@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > I think we need to strip out a lot of the crap about trying to detect
4 > things in the stuff being built, and reduce the check to the simplest
5 > possible form:
6 > $ time zgrep -w CONFIG_PACKET /proc/config.gz
7 > CONFIG_PACKET=y
10 Sure, just please don't strip out the part that actually does what you
11 just did - check the running kernel. I don't think we should assume
12 that the user has the configured+prepared sources for a kernel just
13 lying around all the time. I don't build in /usr/src (which is
14 apparently discouraged by upstream anyway), so /proc/config.gz is
15 really the only reliable indication of how things are setup. Well,
16 that or a config file in /boot which I'm sure others don't use (but
17 make install puts it there).
20 Rich