From: Martin Schlemmer <azarah@g.o>
To: Chris PeBenito <pebenito@g.o>
Cc: svyatogor@g.o, Gentoo-Dev <gentoo-dev@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] linux-headers ebuild version.
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2003 19:24:49
1 On Fri, 2003-06-20 at 20:03, Chris PeBenito wrote:
2 > On Fri, 2003-06-20 at 15:20, Svyatogor wrote:
3 > > AFAIK the version of headers and of kernel are supposed to be the same. But in
4 > > this case, I'll have vanilla-sources-2.4.21 and say my iptables will be build
5 > > against headers for 2.4.19.
6 > >
7 > > My question is: are there any plans to bump up the version of the headers
8 > > package, or it is obsolete. In the later case, I guess, no package should
9 > > depend on virtual/os-headers any more, but rather on virtual/linux-sources
10 > > (or probably the *sources, shoudl provide os-headers).
11 >
12 > The headers should be the same ones used to compile glibc. i.e. the
13 > headers should match the library object files. Its been said many times
14 > that /usr/include/{linux,asm} should not be symlinked to the kernel
15 > sources.
16
17 I do not know if I 100% agree with this. Something like iptables is
18 more like drivers ... you need to be spot on, or in close vicinity of
19 the running kernel with the headers you compile it against.
20
21 Anyhow, in general in Gentoo, if you compile something like iptable,
22 nvidia-kernel, alsa, etc, it use the kernel headers in /usr/src/linux,
23 as it is easier to manage (say you are running kernel from livecd,
24 but want to compile whatever for your kernel that you will be
25 booting ...).
28 Regards,
32 Martin Schlemmer
33 Gentoo Linux Developer, Desktop/System Team Developer
34 Cape Town, South Africa