From: Jakub Moc <jakub@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Only you can prevent broken portage trees
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2006 17:52:50
1 Ciaran McCreesh napsal(a):
2 > | Accumulating broken old vulnerable and unsupported junk in tree
3 >
4 > There is no accumulation. It's already there. And if packages are that
5 > bad, perhaps you should ask yourself why they have a stable keyword at
6 > all.
7
8 Eh, sure there won't be any accumulation of broken junk _if_ the ebuild
9 never gets a version bump. (Then it should probably be removed
10 altogether after a reasonable period of time once it gets broken).
11 That's not what are we talking about here.
12
13 Otherwise, apparently the junk accumulates there. As an example - it's
14 really wonderful to have 3 KDE slots plus multiple versions for each in
15 the tree just because some arch team hasn't keyworded/stabilized
16 anything newer for ages. Makes everything faster and all...
17
18 > | for the sole sake of arches that noone cares about enough to keyword
19 > | something newer for months
20 >
21 > If you're taking that argument, one could just as easily claim that the
22 > packages should be removed entirely since the arch teams don't care
23 > enough to keyword them.
24
25 See above, perhaps? And, we have some ebuilds without any keywords in
26 the tree? If we do, then yes, they should be removed.
30 Best regards,
31
32 Jakub Moc
33 mailto:jakub@g.o
34 GPG signature:
35 http://subkeys.pgp.net:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xCEBA3D9E
36 Primary key fingerprint: D2D7 933C 9BA1 C95B 2C95 B30F 8717 D5FD CEBA 3D9E
37
38 ... still no signature ;)