From: Jason Stubbs <jstubbs@g.o>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o, gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] .53, .54 and beyond...
Date: Tue, 06 Dec 2005 14:33:33
1 On Tuesday 06 December 2005 21:37, Alec Warner wrote:
2 > Jason Stubbs wrote:
3 > > On Tuesday 06 December 2005 11:17, Ned Ludd wrote:
4 > > > On Mon, 2005-12-05 at 23:06 +0900, Jason Stubbs wrote:
5 > > > > Okay, new suggestion.
6 > > > >
7 > > > > Postpone the cache rewrite from above. Have only the minimal mods
8 > > > > necessary to fix the PORT_LOGDIR/tee bug. Include the other two as is.
9 > > > > That would be 2.0.54 as per the attached patch. Get that out soon and
10 > > > > get trunk out masked at around the same time. As soon as 2.0.54 goes
11 > > > > stable put trunk into ~arch. However, instead of ~arch meaning
12 > > > > "regression fixes only" we could just limit it to "minor changes only"
13 > > > > (ie. no big refactorings, rewrites or similar high risk changes) until
14 > > > > it is time to stable it.
15 > > >
16 > > > I think it would be wise to reconsider the cache fixes. I know you have
17 > > > been away from irc for a while now and have missed the daily events,
18 > > > but most of the people we have interacted with are expecting the cache
19 > > > updates in .54 (alot of people complaining about the hanging at 50%)
20 > >
21 > > Call me wrong, but I'm feeling that the constant pulling and pushing on
22 > > IRC causes many misjudgements.
23 >
24 > No I agree with you here, I just wanted reasoning because now I have
25 > this ML thread to refer people to :p
26
27 Of course, there's enough pushing and pulling on the ML here to provide food
28 for thought. :)
29
30 Ok, I've come to a conclusion and that conclusion is: We have way too much
31 indecisiveness. I'm not sure if that's my fault or not - am I meant to be
32 decisive? My guess is that if I were to seriously propose that question
33 there'd be a lot of indecision about it. ;)
34
35 So I'm going to make a decision and offer until Friday (Saturday in my time)
36 for opposers to solidify and state any opposition. If there's no solid
37 opposition, Saturday I will put current trunk into ~arch as 2.1_beta20051210.
38 I will also post on the 2.0.53 bug that fixes are available for the ldconfig
39 bug and the tee bug stating that we'd like to also add trunk's cache
40 subsystem to 2.0.54 and that dependening on the next council meeting(?) the
41 SHA1 enabling as well. Doing it this way will make the ~arch users happy
42 straight away. If we look at it as our responsibility to get fixes and new
43 functionality into ~arch then our jobs done and we can get back to business.
44
45 As for stable users? If arch teams are willing to selectively choose what
46 fixes they want backported to stable (when they're not prepared to move the
47 ~arch version into stable) things will go much smoother. Of course, it would
48 still be our responsibility to get those things backported and assert some
49 confidence that it is working. However, once the requested fixes are
50 backported all that needs to be done is put out the patched stable version
51 with ~arch keywords and then leave it up to the arch teams again. Except for
52 the slight extra burden on (which I believe many would actually find to be a
53 blessing), it should be a win-win situation.
54
55 Cross-posting to -dev@ so that some arch people can comment.
58 Jason Stubbs
59 --