From: Chris Bainbridge <chris.bainbridge@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Signing everything, for fun and for profit
Date: Fri, 19 May 2006 09:53:17
1 The only attack most people really care about is a compromised rsync server.
2 There is no practical way to protect against the other attacks - and at the
3 end of the day, if a developer gets compromised it doesn't matter whether
4 it's a gpg key or ssh key, the effect is the same. The discussion about
5 which files to sign is pointless - the extra computational cost of signing
6 all files in the tree is insignificant, and how are we supposed to know how
7 future tools will handle things like the licenses? Just do it properly now
8 and sign every file.
9
10 We already trust the master cvs server admins (and they could just replace
11 the whole tree anyway), so what benefit does a distributed signing system
12 like gpg actually give to the developers or users? I can't see any that are
13 worth the costs of key management (and there are costs, otherwise a system
14 would've been put into place years ago).
15
16 So my simple proposal would be to use a single key, and a post-commit cvs
17 hook to sign the whole tree. It takes me 1.5 seconds with gnupg to generate
18 a signature covering the whole tree on my desktop here. I don't know how
19 many commits per day there are (and maybe that would be reduced with an
20 atomic commit system like svn), so I don't know if this is an acceptable
21 cost. I think it probably is, but if not, then signing could be done
22 per-directory.
23
24 The benefits of this would be that changes are minimised - developers and
25 users act the same, the impact on the tree is a 191 byte signature, and yet
26 it will protect against the most likely and most practical form of attack. I
27 was much more pro-distributed trust system in 2003 (or whenever this was
28 last discussed), but I think the right solution now is the practical, easy
29 to implement one.