From: Joakim Tjernlund <joakim.tjernlund@×××××××××.se>
To: "gentoo-dev@l.g.o" <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Managing etc/* in an embbeded system
Date: Tue, 11 Aug 2015 17:48:25
1 On Thu, 2015-07-23 at 08:47 -0700, Zac Medico wrote:
2 > On 07/23/2015 12:46 AM, Joakim Tjernlund wrote:
3 > > On Wed, 2015-07-22 at 19:47 -0400, Ian Stakenvicius wrote:
4 > > >
5 > > > Sent from an iPhone, sorry for the HTML...
6 > > >
7 > > > > On Jul 22, 2015, at 5:38 PM, Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
8 > > > >
9 > > > > On Wed, Jul 22, 2015 at 8:05 AM, Joakim Tjernlund
10 > > > > <joakim.tjernlund@×××××××××.se> wrote:
11 > > > > >
12 > > > > > There can not be any manual merges after an SW update here.
13 > > > > >
14 > > > > > I started to look at INSTALL_MASK, what if I set INSTALL_MASK
15 > > > > > to point to all conf files I want to manage myself.
16 > > > > > Then /etc/inittab etc. will not be touched when updating init
17 > > > >
18 > > > > This sounds like overkill.
19 > > > >
20 > > > > If you've already installed a custom /etc/inittab, then when you
21 > > > > emerge init, it won't overwrite your inittab even if you don't change
22 > > > > anything in your portage config. emerge won't touch any files in /etc
23 > > > > unless they don't already exist.
24 > > >
25 > > >
26 > > > ..AND have been modified. IIRC if the hash of the config files match what they were when the package
27 > > > was
28 > > > previously emerged, then the files are updated aren't they?
29 > > >
30 > > > I expect that this is fine in the situation described, but it's worth knowing that a config file left
31 > > > unmodified may be replaced with a different vanilla config file later on.
32 > >
33 > > Sure, but what if I need to change a conf file in an installed system? Or rebuild a a system from scratch?
34 > > The user only runs a one SW update command to update an installed system in the field and cannot edit a
35 > > bunch
36 > > of files too. Especially when there are hundreds of systems sitting in remote locations.
37 >
38 > If you use the profile-bashrcs profile-formats setting [1], then your
39 > profiles can use package.bashrc to define post_src_install and/or
40 > INSTALL_MASK to remove unwanted config files from upstream packages.
41 > Then you can easily replace the upstream config files with config files
42 > installed by your own configurations installed by your own ebuilds.
43
44 Finally getting back to this after lots of distractions.
45 I cannot get profile-formats = profile-bashrcs to work.
46 I have in metadata/layout.conf:
47 masters = gentoo
48 profile-formats = portage-2 profile-bashrcs
49 then in profiles/tmv3-target-overlay/profile.bashrc:
50 INSTALL_MASK=xxxx
51 Doing portageq envvar INSTALL_MASK just yields an empty line
52 I guess I am missing something here?