From: Sevo Stille <sevo@××××××.de>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Frozen Bacula??
Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2005 23:51:13
1 Chris Lee wrote:
2
3 > As for 1.38.[01], I will have it committed
4 > to portage when I have some time in the near future, but please be aware
5 > that it will spend some time in ~arch just like every other pacakge.
6
7 Better start out with a hard masked package at least for some time! The
8 implications of the (IMHO horrible) upstream failure of maintaining
9 downward compatibility on a distributed application will inevitably hit
10 somebody hard, if we do not prevent emerge -u world from switching one
11 Bacula client or server to 1.38 without taking care of the others...
12
13 Probably the only thing we could do about it (as slotting is as
14 impracticable as a network-wide forced upgrade) would be to install
15 1.38.x to a temporary path, and provide a script to switch it alive
16 manually, to be sure the admins in question have at any rate noticed
17 that they may just be cutting their clients off from the backup system.
18 If you are willing to go that way, I'd lend a hand.
19
20 Sevo
21 --
22 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list