From: Ollie Rutherfurd <oliver@××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Problem!!!!!
Date: Sun, 10 Mar 2002 16:22:33
1 On Sun, Mar 10, 2002 at 02:04:36PM -0500, Jeff and Trilby Kirkland wrote:
2 > I am hoping you can help me. I don't want to subscribe to the mailing
3 > list at this time. I installed Gentoo linux and after rebooting, found
4 > that the boot menu for grub came up fine, but then, when I hit return
5 > for the selection or it autoruns the selection, the machine reboots.
6 > ***sigh*** Do you have any possible explanations for this? I
7 > basically followed the steps on the web page exactly, setting it up as
8 > you did.
11 Hi Jeff,
12
13 I had this problem when I accidently compiled a kernel for a Pentium III instead of AMD K6 (what the processor was). I didn't get any error or anything, but the machine would just reboot after I selected the entry from the grub boot menu.
14
15 Recompiling the kernel for the correct architecture solved my problem. Maybe you've got a bad kernel?
16
17 Regards,
18 -Ollie Rutherfurd