From: Richard Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Non-free software in Gentoo
Date: Tue, 29 Dec 2009 01:17:24
1 On 12/28/2009 05:53 PM, Robin H. Johnson wrote:
2 > You're wrong there. The kernel does contain additional licenses, and
3 > EXPLICITLY mentions them. Go and read 'firmware/WHENCE'.
4 >
5 > The licenses listed therein range from use-permitted only
6 > no-modification, to GPL-compliant and BSD-like.
9 I stand corrected. Somebody should tell Linus that his readme/copying
10 is a bit misleading. They really shouldn't bury licenses in subdirectories.
11
12 > There is no second-guessing. What I am concerned with is that Gentoo's
13 > statement of licensing does not accurately reflect what licenses are on
14 > the package.
17 Agreed - I think the key is for the package maintainer to ensure the
18 license is accurate, and if anybody notices a problem just file a bug.
19 I think the kernel is a bit of an oddball since the sources are so large
20 - most packages are much smaller and have a single license, and the
21 maintainer will probably be familiar enough to sort it out.