From: "Kevin F. Quinn (Gentoo)" <kevquinn@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] overlay support current proposal?
Date: Sat, 25 Mar 2006 11:38:02
1 On Sat, 25 Mar 2006 03:31:34 +0100
2 "Diego 'Flameeyes' Pettenò" <flameeyes@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > Although I don't know darcs at all in terms of use and feature, I
5 > would really suggest to _not_ use it. For a simple reason, actually:
6 > cvs has almost no cost added, as it's present on every major
7 > distribution, system and operating system, being well known and
8 > written in plain C with just a few dependencies; svn has a bit more
9 > costs, as it requires apr, berkdb and neon, but it's also available
10 > on a wide range of different system because it's also in C mainly.
11
12 If you're suggesting CVS as the second VCS (i.e. in addition to SVN)
13 then I don't see the point - SVN is simply a better CVS and clients
14 should be available on the alt platforms.
15
16 > Darcs, instead, is written in Haskell, which means you need
17 > architectures that supports Haskell, and in which it's stable enough
18 > to work... considering we have Gentoo/Alt, it's not that good to
19 > "cut" us off (yes I know I should be able to make Gentoo/FreeBSD and
20 > maybe other arches to have ghc, but that's not easy and not on my top
21 > priority list, while support for overlays can be useful.. for a while
22 > we needed java overlay to get kaffe, for example).
23
24 This is a valid issue, as ghc is only supplied upstream for linux (some
25 older versions available in mingw32).
26
27 > I would be more in favour of GNU arch derived like bzr (bazaar-ng) or
28 > mercurial, that are written in Python. While we should know that
29 > saying "being interpreted means it runs anyway" doesn't fly, a
30 > working python is already a strict requirement (portage, anyone?) and
31 > it's way less pain that ghc, IMHO.
32 >
33 > I'm also sure bzr works fine on FreeBSD, DragonFly and OSX as I've
34 > tried it myself..
35
36 Language issues aside, it makes sense to support a distributed VCS in
37 addition to SVN, as that would provide a useful alternative. There's a
38 quick comparison at http://bazaar-vcs.org/RcsComparisons. Of the
39 alternatives to Bazaar-NG, Mercurial (at
40 http://www.selenic.com/mercurial/) looks most interesting, not least
41 because it claims fast local and network performance, which bazaar-ng
42 doesn't.
45 Kevin F. Quinn