From: Kent Fredric <kentnl@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] chromium-54 needs ffmpeg-3.0.1
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2016 04:34:31
1 On Sun, 28 Aug 2016 19:28:48 +0200
2 "Paweł Hajdan, Jr." <phajdan.jr@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > C. Mask chromium's system-ffmpeg flag when the dependency on
5 > ffmpeg-3.0.1 can't be satisfied
6
7 I'd pick this option, mostly because this is the path that introduces
8 the least amount of space for breaking users setups.
9
10 We've established there's a lot of problem with having system-wide
11 ffmpeg 3.0, so running towards that seems foolish.
12
13 Patching chromimum to not need 3.0 seems also slightly dodgy.
14
15 Though I would be ok with a compromise between C and D, where
16 system-ffmpeg implied the patch, but otherwise left chromium building
17 with its bundled ffmpeg.
20 Then the decision about masking USE="system-ffmpeg" depends on how
21 stable we expect the patch to be.
22
23 Keeping in mind that both case C and D will leave us open to a future
24 chromium being built with ffmpeg3, and we'll need to make sure that
25 transition is also smooth.
26
27 but for the sake of simplicity, I would just hardmask the useflag until
28 we know it will work, and then unmask it.