From: Daniel Robbins <drobbins@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] New Team Structure
Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2001 12:19:05
1 On Sat, Jul 21, 2001 at 03:39:33AM +0200, Hendrik Visage wrote:
2 > Hi Daniel,
3 >
4 > currently I'm tempted to ask for a team leader position, but at
5 > present I haven't yet decided if the USE system is/will be working
6 > for me as it currently (ie. rc5 build install with a couple of options
7 > removed) doesn't quite work as advertized for me...
8
9 The USE system *does* indeed work; I am planning to upgrade it and already have
10 the new design in my head (with categories, much easier configuration and 100%
11 backwards compatibility). But I have no time to add new features to Portage;
12 that's where the new team concept comes in. Once the new teams are up and
13 running, I'll finally have some time to focus on *my* area of expertise --
14 Portage. Until then, all Portage upgrades are on hold as I try to juggle all
15 things Gentoo Linux, live my "real" life and answer gentoo-dev emails to boot.
16
17 So if you'd like Portage development to speed up (in reality, resume), then the
18 best way to make this happen is to come alongside us, take a personal stake in
19 the success of Gentoo Linux, and put in some solid, consistent long-term work
20 to help us take this OS to the next level. We're in this for the long haul;
21 Gentoo Linux *will* get to the level of refinement that you (and I, and
22 everyone else) desire. But whether we get to that point sooner or later is
23 largely dependent on how much help we get from the Gentoo Linux user community.
24 It depends on all of you who are reading this email.
25
26 Now that our project is really starting to grow, we need to get more people
27 meaningfully involved in Gentoo Linux development so we can benefit from the
28 economies of scale inherent in free, open software development. Up until now,
29 97% of the work going into Gentoo Linux has come from just two individuals, me
30 and Achim. And for the last year, Achim alone has been doing most of the work
31 while I have been focusing on my IBM dW articles. So, the Gentoo Linux that
32 you use today is effectively the fruit of just two individuals' hard work. My
33 goal is to rally the troops and parallelize our development process. With the
34 committed help of the Gentoo Linux community, this will allow us to *quadruple*
35 (4x!) the rate of Gentoo Linux development in the next 16 weeks, and then
36 double this rate by the end of the year. Imagine what a dramatic positive
37 impact this will have, allowing us to begin PPC and IA64 ports early next year.
38 This dramatic improvement in productivity *is* possible -- if the right people
39 step forward.
40
41 Best Regards,
44 Daniel Robbins <drobbins@g.o>