From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Packages up for grabs
Date: Sun, 07 Aug 2016 20:05:13
1 On 07/08/2016 19:36, james wrote:
2 >> The interesting apps out there are mostly running python, go and
3 >> (sometimes) lua. And that's what I observe in my day job -
4 >> business/mobile ISP.
7 > Look at the job listing on stackoverflow and elsewhere (java) is very
8 > popular when they list several programming languages to meet the
9 > requirements. I'm not promoting java, at all, but just stating that it
10 > is very popular, on new projects (but not all) and it is a large and
11 > frequent requirement, dictating by employers. Kids coming out of college
12 > want a job, more than anything, and most are having java crammed down
13 > their throats. So we should find a way to robustly
14 > support those that need java. Nothing is precluding other languages
15 > in my message. Personally I avoid java, unless it is critical to
16 > a code or family of codes I need to run.
19 I recommend Java as a teaching language at university level.
20
21 You get all the benefits of a C-like syntax without the overhead of
22 learning to deal with C and/or C++. You don't have to deal with the
23 toolchain (much), you can easily show correct implementations of OOP
24 style without getting into generics (or, you can avoid Java generics
25 altogether at this level and pretend they don't exist).
26
27 In short, what's not to like for teaching? All win not much lose.
28
29 Well OK some kids come away thinking Java is the one and only, but they
30 will have that too if Python is the teaching language. Realizing there
31 are other things out there is part of the learning process.
32
33 But, despite all that, Java is not special. It should run on Gentoo for
34 anyone who wants it, just like things starting with P.
35
36 You volunteering to do the grunt work?
39 Alan McKinnon
40 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com