From: Jon Portnoy <avenj@g.o>
To: Rainer Groesslinger <scandium@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Reducing the size of distfiles for our mirrors
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2003 20:16:31
1 On Tue, Jul 22, 2003 at 03:24:09PM +0200, Rainer Groesslinger wrote:
2 Content-Description: signed data
3 > On Tuesday 22 July 2003 15:03, Kurt Lieber wrote:
4 > > On Tue, Jul 22, 2003 at 08:58:51AM -0400 or thereabouts, Kurt Lieber wrote:
5 > > > In the last few months, our distfiles mirror has grown nearly 100% in
6 > > > terms of space requirements. Gentoo's increasing popularity also places
7 > > > greater demands on our mirrors in terms of bandwidth requirements as
8 > > > well.
9 > >
10 > > To follow up to this message, I'm going to be working with avenj to come up
11 > > wtih a draft policy for changing the way we use our mirrors. Any developer
12 > > or source mirror provider who is interested in participating, please drop
13 > > me an email.
14 > >
15 > > --kurt
16 >
17 > Perhaps you already thought about this but IMHO part of that policy should be
18 > that files which are stored on a network with a good mirroring infrastructure
19 > (sourceforge, kernel.org etc.) are never placed on our distfiles because it
20 > is very unlikely all 10 mirrors (or how many sourceforge ever has) are down
21 > and since the gentoo distfile mirrors are used before the
22 > mirror://sourceforge in the ebuild it causes more traffic to the mirrors
23 > (plus the space it takes) because nobody really gets it from sourceforge...
24 >
25 > I think we could save a lot of bandwidth _and_ space if such files aren't
26 > placed on the gentoo mirrors if not absolutly neccessary, I don't see a real
27 > reason why we need to put hundreds of files on the gentoo mirrors which are
28 > already stored on a very good mirroring system.
29 >
30 > --
31 > Rainer Groesslinger
32 > http://dev.gentoo.org/~scandium/
35 The idea is that if files move or go missing, users won't get hit with
36 404s (and you'd be surprised as how often they move or go missing,
37 too...)
40 Jon Portnoy
41 avenj/irc.freenode.net
44 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list