From: Samuel Bernardo <samuelbernardo.mail@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Open Build Service
Date: Thu, 09 Nov 2017 23:03:16
1 Hi,
2
3 I send this email to know the devs opinion about Gentoo integration with
4 Open Build Service[1].
5
6 When creating specialized images and using an automated process for
7 testing before deployment, I think that Open Build Service would be
8 useful. It already support all major binary based distros and I think
9 that Gentoo could be in there also.
10
11 There is also a subforum with some interesting posts[2], where was
12 mentioned some references for Gentoo@OBS.
13
14 I reviewed catalyst scripts and Gentoo workflow when creating the
15 package repository, and I think that it could be integrated in OBS. The
16 advantage is about creating repositories of binary packages from Gentoo
17 that would be used to deploy containers or VMs. This way, updates could
18 be applied to the images. OBS will be responsible to compile all images
19 that would be associated with their own created binary repository.
20
21 To use the binary repository in Gentoo is suggested to use a nfs share
22 for portage/packages directory[3], but it would be a smoother
23 integration if emerge gets the packages directly from an url.
24
25 You can ask, but for that why not using a binary disto? Well they're not
26 Gentoo... What I mean with this is that all the Gentoo tools, portage
27 architecture and the ebuild format that allows for excellent source
28 package definition (EAPI), turn it unique. Also the freedom associated
29 with Gentoo distribution that, with less effort than the others, allows
30 for the creation of new distros. Cross compiling tools are also amazing.
31
32 So why shouldn't I wish to use Gentoo always?
33
34 Well it don't need to be OBS, but since this opensource project have
35 some nice ideas, why not starting from there?
36
37 Best,
38
39 Samuel