From: Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] splitting build deps out from depends
Date: Fri, 01 Jul 2005 20:27:51
1 On Friday 01 July 2005 20:53, Diego 'Flameeyes' Pettenò wrote:
2 > On Friday 01 July 2005 20:42, Brian D. Harring wrote:
3 > > Err... missing the point, and proving my point.  Current portage
4 > > _will_ fail because it's an unstated dependency.  Why shouldn't
5 > > portage be provided the deps it needs so it can figure out what is
6 > > needed to get to what the user requested?
7 >
8 > BDEPEND is not going to resolve the case Mike shown.
9 >
10 > GCC bdepends over GCC to compile, you don't have GCC, you can't install
11 > GCC, you can't install anything (a part from binpkgs).
12 > But if you put GCC in profile, no need to depend on it, you'll always have
13 > one also if nothign depends on it and the problem is resolved.
14 >
15 > BTW, as I already stated on irc, GCC is a RDEPEND not a BDEPENED because of
16 > libgcc_s.so and libstdc++.so, so...
17
18 No, it's both. You need to have a cross gcc on the compiling machine, and a
19 runtime gcc (gcc-lib parts) on the running machine.
20
21 Paul
24 Paul de Vrieze
25 Gentoo Developer