From: Sebastian Pipping <sping@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Tone in Gentoo
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2010 03:34:17
1 Hello!
4 Tone is currently not a strength of Gentoo.
5
6 As I have heard there are people not joining Gentoo because the
7 atmosphere in Gentoo is lacking respect and empathy.
8
9 I have searched a few places for rules on tone, looking at the Gentoo
10 Social Contract [1], the Code of Conduct [2] and the Philosophy of
11 Gentoo [3]. In a way the Code of Conduct defines what good and bad
12 behavior is. The term "Acceptable behaviour" may make sense as a
13 counterpart to "Unacceptable behaviour" but feels like "what you can get
14 away with" to me anyhow.
15
16 What is surprising me:
17
18 - How come tone is so rough when we actually meant to be
19 a friendly community? Has it always been that way?
20
21 - With these Code of Conduct rules in place how come DevRel
22 is not publicly reminding of these rules where necessary?
23
24 Could it be we expect perfection from each other instead seeking to
25 understand and complement each other? What can we do to make Gentoo a
26 friendlier community?
27
28 Thanks for your interest,
32 Sebastian