From: "Sven Köhler" <skoehler@×××.de>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Fixing the TERM mess
Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2005 00:22:57
1 > See, certain terminal emulators lie about their TERM setting. Usually
2 > it's things that aren't xterm pretending to be an xterm, although rxvt
3 > sometimes crops up too. Examples of things pretending to be xterm
4 > include Konsole, Gnome Terminal.
5 >
6 > The logic behind it goes like this:
7 >
8 > * We don't understand this 'terminfo' thing, but we want our terminal to
9 > work with programs which use ncurses.
10 >
11 > * We've implemented xterm-style colour sequences and some basic cursor
12 > movement.
13 >
14 > * Therefore, we shall set TERM=xterm.
15 >
16 > This is not a good idea. See, real xterm supports a hell of a lot of
17 > fancy voodoo. It and rxvt-unicode are two of the most fully featured
18 > terminal emulators (from a terminal capability point of view) out there.
19 > None of these cheap knockoffs that claim to be xterm come anywhere near
20 > close to supporting full xterm capabilities.
21
22 I fully agree with you, but ... did xterm support the full feature-set
23 right from the start? So what happens if i've got a box running an old
24 xterm and then do an ssh-session to a newer box where the application
25 thinks that xterm support some fency new feature?
26
27 After the all, the whole mess can IMHO only be cleared up, if there's
28 something like a universal terminal-type, and the application could ask
29 the terminal for it's feature-set. So i'm not aware if this is possible,
30 but this seems to be the only _really_ reliable extensible way to do
31 this. I don't see the point in define lots of all new terminal-types.
32
33 Of course this isn't and a short-term sollution and would have to be
34 implemented by all the terminal-emulators that lie about their
35 terminal-type.