From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] How to get a package into portage?
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2004 21:37:35
1 On Sun, 2004-09-26 at 20:35, Christopher Sachs wrote:
2 > Hello,
3 > Bug #53524[1] has been open for nearly five months. It is a request to
4 > add the Slimserver[2] streaming music server into portage. Thus far
5 > the request has been completely ignored--though I'm sure not
6 > intentionally. Is there a policy for how to get a package into portage
7 > without bugging the entire gentoo-dev mailing list? This has been
8 > extremely frustrating for me as I have tried many different ways of
9 > getting people's attention.
10
11 Honestly, the best way is to get people's attention. Try getting people
12 using your ebuild. See if you can have people look at the ebuild for
13 correctness. Also, remember that things don't get added unless the
14 developer has time and is interested in keeping up with the package in
15 the future. Requests for having additional packages added to portage
16 are what we refer to as an "enhancement" request. These usually take a
17 *very* low priority in comparison to what I consider bugs, or actual
18 problems in an application or Gentoo that is causing broken behavior.
19 Sometimes the best way to get your package into Gentoo is to fix *other*
20 bugs that belong to the same herd/maintainer and submitting ebuilds to
21 those bugs.
22
23 All in all, the best advice is to have patience. Many herds are
24 horribly understaffed. At the same time, if a package doesn't seem
25 interesting to the person that would be doing the maintaining, sometimes
26 it just isn't added. We don't have developers in the thousands like
27 Debian, so we have to spend our time on things that interest us and
28 impact the most people.
31 Chris Gianelloni
32 Release Engineering - Operations/QA Manager
33 Games - Developer
34 Gentoo Linux
35
36 Is your power animal a penguin?