From: Carlos Silva <r3pek@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Just another portage enhancement idea...
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2005 14:16:31
1 On Tue, 2005-10-11 at 09:18 -0400, Dave Nebinger wrote:
2 > This is probably the fifth time at least that I've been bitten by this...
3 >
4 > Portage is great in that it manages compiles for a bulk of applications
5 > (including dependencies) in one fell swoop.
6 >
7 > Yesterday I emerged gnome - that was it, just gnome, and it took care of the
8 > whole thing soup to nuts. Wahoo, and kudos to all of you who put in the
9 > work.
10 >
11 > But here's my issue... In emerging one of the 101 packages missing on my
12 > system for gnome, a little blurb flew buy that should have caught my
13 > attention, a message posted in the pkg_postinst() message indicating what I
14 > should do now that my installation has completed.
15 >
16 > That's well and good, but as it was one of only 101 other packages, that
17 > message quickly gets lost in the shuffle.
18 >
19 > So here's the enhancement: have portage collect all of these kinds of messages
20 > and display them after all of the emerging has completed.
21 >
22 > So here's my proposed enhancement: Before the call to pkg_postinst(), set a
23 > flag that causes einfo/ewarn/etc. to tee the output generated by the ebuild
24 > to /var/log/portage_postinst.log (or something configurable in make.conf,
25 > whatever). Preface the first generated line with the ${P} so we know what
26 > it's related to. After the pkg_postinst() method completes, clear the flag
27 > and other emerges can carry on as they need to.
28 >
29 > Had this kind of thing been in place, after emerging 101 packages I could go
30 > to the postinst log and see everything that I had to do, including the little
31 > blurb that I had missed before.
32 >
33 > Yes, I know folks are going to say that you can enable portage logging and
34 > look for messages that need to be taken care of. But I just emerged 101 new
35 > packages, have many emerge -ud worlds, etc. resulting in almost 2000 files
36 > out there in /var/log/portage. Talk about the needle in the haystack,
37 > there's not even some specific keywords I could grep on to hit on the
38 > relevant information.
39 >
40 > Understandably I don't know what you all will say about this. It seems like a
41 > great idea to me, and wouldn't appear to come with all the political issues
42 > that the 'extending the ebuild meta data' or some other issues that have come
43 > up recently.
44 >
45 > But I'll leave it to the rest of you to decide...
46
47 I could be wrong, and if i am, someone from the portage team to correct
48 me, but i think this will come in the next major version of the portage
49 along with the tool elog.
52 Carlos "r3pek" Silva
53 Gentoo Developer (kernel/amd64/mobile-phone)