From: Alvin Thompson <alvin-gentoo@×××××××××××××.com>
To: "Robin H. Johnson" <robbat2@g.o>
Cc: Gentoo Developers <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>, gentoo-gwn-admin@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] PHP5 release in ~x86 and request for volunteers
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2004 12:43:54
1 Robin H. Johnson wrote:
2 > After much work and a goodly deal of initial testing, PHP5 is ready for
3 > ~arch. Special thanks to Stuart <stuart@g.o> (for the wonderfully
4 > improved eclasses, now half the size and much simpler to grok) and Tal
5 > <coredumb@g.o> (for the initial PHP5 work).
6 >
7 > The great majority of PHP code out there should run perfectly fine on
8 > PHP5, without any serious problems.
9 >
10 > See http://www.php.net/manual/en/migration5.php for a complete overview
11 > of the upstream migration documentation.
12 >
13 > I've placed PHP5 into ~x86 only, all other -arch flags have been removed
14 > from it. Arches interested in PHP5 have a number of dependencies ahead
15 > of them, the majority of which are in the tree and source based. I've
16 > also done some research, and preemptively use.mask'd a number of the
17 > USE flags that related to binary packages on arches where the packages
18 > are not available to the best of my research.
19 >
20 > For those that don't want PHP5 at this time, make use of your
21 > /etc/portage/package.mask, and mask out:
22 > >=dev-php/php-5*
23 > >=dev-php/mod_php-5*
24 > >=dev-php/php-cgi-5*
25 >
26 > I've also pushed out PHP4.3.9rc1 to all currently supported PHP ~arches,
27 > as it contains fixes for a number of annoying upstream bugs. We intend
28 > to continue supporting the PHP4.3 series for as long as upstream still
29 > supports it, and then probably a while afterward to allow for migration.
30 >
31 > PHP4 and PHP5 are mutually incompatible, and for the most part cannot
32 > peacefully co-exist even if slotted.
33 >
34 > If you're anxious to try PHP5:
35 > 1. Unmerge all compiled PHP extensions you have installed.
36 > 2. 'emerge unmerge php mod_php php-cgi' # out with the old
37 > 3. 'emerge php mod_php php-cgi' # in with the new
38 >
39 > Update your /etc/conf.d/apache2 (the defined flag has changed to 'PHP5').
40 > Restart apache2.
41 >
42 > Future plans for PHP being in arch:
43 > - Support for compiled PHP extensions/PECL (in process)
44 > - 2+ months of testing in ~arch
45 >
46 > If you find something that doesn't work right under PHP5, but did
47 > before, please firstly review the URL above, then file a bug to
48 > php-bugs@g.o. User emails are not eligible at this time, for
49 > tracking reasons. If you include a patch to fix the issue as well,
50 > it would be greatly appreciated.
51 >
52 > The PHP herd would also like to take the chance to put out a request for
53 > volunteers interested in working with them, to deal primarily with PECL
54 > and PEAR, as well as fixing packages to work with PHP5 as required (if
55 > at all). Email robbat2@g.o with your information/skillset and
56 > some initial work for consideration. Specify 'PHP Developer' as the
57 > subject line
58
59 08:40:52 (379.84 KB/s) - `/usr/portage/distfiles/php-5.0.0.tar.bz2'
60 saved [4554054/4554054]
61
62 >>> md5 src_uri ;-) php-5.0.0.tar.bz2
63 *
64 * We currently do not support the mysqli extension
65 * Support will be added once MySQL 4.1 has been added to Portage
66 *
67
68 !!! ERROR: dev-php/php-5.0.0-r1 failed.
69 !!! Function php5-sapi_check_awkward_uses, Line 116, Exitcode 0
70 !!! mysqli not supported yet
73 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list