From: Marius Mauch <genone@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: RFC: New build types
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2008 05:33:52
1 On Thu, 20 Mar 2008 03:59:01 +0000
2 Steve Long <slong@××××××××××××××××××.uk> wrote:
3
4 > Rémi Cardona wrote:
5 >
6 > > What would be the point of such a change? What problem are you
7 > > trying to solve or to improve?
8 > >
9 > Secondly efficiency; in the case of a pbuild it could be run from
10 > within the PM; for something like a jbuild it would use the native
11 > tools and existing libraries like ANT. For hbuild it would tie into
12 > Cabal. While these may be used already, we go from PM -> BASH ->
13 > LangX. I'm just saying give the _option_ to leave out the BASH bit
14 > when you have mature tools in langX.
15
16 Generally those build tools are designed to be invoked from the shell,
17 not from within their implementation language. Of course you can invoke
18 use a distutils setup.py script from within a python interpreter, but
19 that's not how it's designed to be used and will probably end up being
20 more complicated to handle than invoking it from the shell.
21
22 Maybe it's 1% or 2% faster, but that's not worth the additional
23 complexity.
24
25 Marius
30 In the beginning, there was nothing. And God said, 'Let there be
31 Light.' And there was still nothing, but you could see a bit better.