From: Priit Laes <amd@××.ee>
To: stuart@××××××××××××××××××.uk, gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] FW: rsync etiquette follow-up
Date: Mon, 12 May 2003 16:32:01
1 On Mon, 12 May 2003 16:56:37 +0100
2 "Stuart Herbert" <stuart@××××××××××××××××××.uk> wrote:
3
4 > Dear all,
5 >
6 > I originally sent the comments below to GWN as feedback on the recent call
7 > for rsync etiquette. Kurt Lieber [klieber@g.o] asked me to forward
8 > on to this list, for further discussion.
9 >
10 > Please be gentle - this is my first posting to the list ;-)
11 >
12 > Best regards,
13 > Stu
14 > --
15 >
16 > -----Original Message-----
17 > From: Stuart Herbert [mailto:stuart@××××.org]
18 > Sent: 09 May 2003 11:24
19 > To: 'gwn-feedback@g.o'
20 > Cc: 'stuart@××××.org'
21 > Subject: rsync etiquette follow-up
24 > Hi there,
25 >
26 > I read with great interest your article on the need for rsync etiquette.
27 > I'm sure lots of people have already written to you making the same point.
28 > I'd like to add my voice to this point.
29 >
30 > Gentoo's 'emerge' is a wonderful tool in many ways - but when it comes to a
31 > site containing multiple machines, improvements in its design could help
32 > reduce the load on your rsync servers.
33 >
34 > I run four Gentoo boxes at the moment, and they're all connected to the
35 > Internet through a single firewall configured with masquerading. If I were
36 > to rsync each machine just once a day, I wonder whether it would look like
37 > one machine had rsync'd four times from the point of view of the Gentoo
38 > rsync mirror that I use?
39 >
40 > Anyway, whenever I install a new package onto a machine, it is important to
41 > my work that *each* of these machines has the same version of the package.
42 > The machines are different x86 architectures, so building a binary package
43 > on the one machine isn't my preferred choice. The whole point of using
44 > Gentoo is that each machine runs code that is specifically optimised for the
45 > hardware.
46 Portage directory (/usr/portage) contains only new packages...
47 /var/db/pkg contains packages installed installed on machine...
50 Priit Laes <amdATttDOTee> _o)
51 http://amd-core.tk /\\ _o) _o)
52 Why don't they fix bugs in bugzilla??? _\_V _( ) _( )
55 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list