From: "M. J. Everitt" <m.j.everitt@×××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Printer drivers and net-print
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2017 22:03:21
1 On 20/02/17 21:47, Andreas K. Huettel wrote:
2 > Hey all,
3 >
4 > 1) Putting printer drivers into "net-print" is silly.
5 >
6 > Something that converts format a to device-specific format b has absolutely
7 > nothing to do with network.
8 > So, a new category "sys-print", emphasizing that it's hardware drivers, (or
9 > "cups-drv"?) (or maybe "media-print"?) might make sense.
10 >
11 > 2) After introducing that, however, "net-print" becomes nearly empty.
12 >
13 > On a quick glance, the only *network*-specific packages in there are cups and
14 > lprng. Maybe one or two more which I dont recognize.
15 >
16 > So move cups and lprng to "net-misc" and drop "net-print"?
17 > Or move them to new "sys-print" as well?
18 >
19 > What do you think?
20 >
21 > Cheers,
22 > Andreas
23 >
24 sys-print/cups seems perfectly logical .. its not unique to 'network
25 printing' ..
26
27 How about an actual listing of the remaining packages? We can throw them
28 into new cat's in the bikeshed ...
29
30 MJE